Friday, October 12, 2012

Shot@Life Uganda Trip Blog: October 11




10-11

(midnight)
My tummy doesn’t feel good. Could it just be anxiety, worry, or nervousness that the tickets to Uganda have been bought? Or the whole package of gummi bears I ate tonight? Or both? I can’t sleep.

(later)
It was the worry.  I know because my 7 yr old sleepwalked into the bathroom and peed all over the floor. It was a distraction to clean her up and care for her. No more tummy ache. Gee, thanks, sweetheart!

(daytime)
Got all my shots now. Typhoid, yellow fever, hepatitis A, polio, tetanus, influenza…even meningitis even though that one was optional. I called my mom from the travel medicine office because I wasn’t sure if I’d received the vaccination for measles, mumps, and rubella when I was a child. She laughed and replied that I’d been vaccinated TWICE for that one. Apparently, back in the old days before folks were very vigilant about parental permissions, my babysitter walked me across the street while my mom was at work to a free public offering of vaccinations for children and just got me loaded up without asking my mom. Being a nurse and very health minded, mom immediately called up our pediatrician just to make sure there would be no side effects of a double dose. Assured that there wasn’t, it just became a funny family story. I can’t imagine that happening now in the U.S. I believe in measles vaccinations, but man… I’d be livid if a babysitter did anything like that with my kids without asking! Anyway, a lot can happen on this trip, but I’m pretty sure I won’t be getting measles!

No comments: